Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

roller skating memories

photo via ImSoVintage

I can remember having a pair of roller skates like these. I hung the key on a string around my neck after fitting the skates to my Keds sneakers. Then I would whip up and down the sidewalks on my street. I loved it. The sidewalks were a bit bumpy so it would kind of rattle your teeth, and invariably one of the skates would come off resulting in lots of skinned knees and elbows. Back in those days no one had heard of  protective pads. It was a booming business for Bandaids. 

photo via our great yarmouth

In the summer we would rent a cottage in Topsail Island North Carolina, across the street from the roller rink. At night, from my bed, I could hear the sounds of the music and the skates coming from the rink.  As I was lulled to sleep I dreamed of growing up and having a cute skating outfit and some spiffy white skates like the girls in the photo above. Occasionally my mother would relent and let us skate at the rink. It was heavenly. After, we would stop at the grocery across the street for a treat. 

The roller rink and Godwin's Market have managed to survive all the hurricanes and are still there today.  


photo via fuquayana


Well, I never got the cute roller skating outfit or the spiffy roller skates, but after my family moved to Canada I took up ice skating and got some really cool skates and a sweet little wool skirt.


Have a great day.


Laura
I'm So Vintage
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I had skates like those!! As I grew older, I make a "skateboard" with one of them...long before fancy skateboards existed. Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura-Your blog is great too!
    Especially this nice sentimental post-great memories!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and now I'm following you too..
    Jeanne

    www.stuartroadvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! And a walk (roll?) down memory lane.

    LeAnn aka pasqueflower

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!I love posts like this, hearing about people's childhoods...I had a pair of daggy second hand roller skates (the white boot kind)but I used to think I was super-cool rolling up and down our driveway in them :)Thanks so much for visiting my blog and becoming a follower, I really appreciate it :)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those. Love this stroll, or should I say roll down memory lane. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for following. I've been scrolling through your blog. I'm following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a pair of those skates too! I never did manage to be a very good skater. The sidewalks around my house were all old brick and it made for a very bumpy ride!!
    It's wonderful to see that the roller rink and market are still thriving!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet messages. I read every one of them.