Recent Posts

Friday, October 7, 2011

vintage maps

source


I love vintage maps. They tell a history that can not be shared in any other way, and they are so beautiful. The study and practice of making maps is called cartography. It is not known exactly when map making began, but we do know that the ancient Greeks and Romans began the practice of cartography as early as the 6th century BC. 


The oldest maps were carved into clay tablets.


source


Wow, I would love to see some of those. 


Today, vintage and antique maps are very popular for home decor and for repurposing.


They make beautiful wall paper.


source


source


source


Some more ideas for repurposing vintage maps.


from the shop of cottonbirddesigns


so lovely when framed and grouped on a wall.




source


a pretty way to spruce up a lampshade


source


or an old metal trash can.


source


Maps can give new life to an old piece of furniture.


source


source


I can just see all those ideas spinning around in your head right now and if you need some vintage maps, I am currently adding them to Gossamer Memories. I have a few listed now, but there will be a lot more coming in the next few days. Stop by for a visit.


1923 map


Linking up this  weekend with


Photobucket


vif187





bws tips button





Photobucket
 Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I love it when folks use maps in their decor. I saw a hall bathroom completely wallpapered in colorful maps (the bath was primarily used by children). It was so pretty!!!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the history and the gorgeous inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful inspiration photos! I love old maps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the maps! I've been thinking of doing a project with maps, now I'm thinking a little harder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, aren't maps hot? Even as a kid I loved maps... I would read our atlas for hours. We never went anywhere, but I sure dreamed I did. andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura,

    I love these little inspirations from the use of vintage maps - the lampshades especially! :) And thank you for taking the time to stop by my page & leaving a kind comment - it is greatly appreciated. :) I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Take care and enjoy your new week!


    Best,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, great post, love all that wonderful inspiration! thanks so much for sharing it at VIF!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet messages. I read every one of them.