F I'm So Vintage: crock pot clam chowder
Tuesday, November 29, 2011

crock pot clam chowder

Thanksgiving is over and I don't know about you, but I am pretty much over turkey for the immediate future. I did make some homemade turkey soup using what was left of the turkey carcass yesterday, but that has been put in the freezer to be taken out and eaten on a cold day in January. 


All of this cool rainy weather we are having is making me want some comfort food, but it is such a busy time of year, my thoughts are definitely turning to crock pot cooking. For some reason I have been craving clam chowder and I came across this recipe, which, if I can drag myself out into the pouring rain to get the ingredients I will make this afternoon.



Crockpot Clam Chowder

Clam chowder recipe with minced clams, bacon, onion, and potatoes and milk.
Ingredients:

4 (6 1/2 oz.) cans minced clams with juice
1/2 lb. salt pork or bacon, diced
1 cup chopped onion
6 to 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 c. water
3 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 c. half and half cream or milk
3 to 4 tbsp. cornstarch
chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preparation:

Cut clams into bite-sized pieces if necessary. In skillet, saute salt pork or bacon and onion until golden brown; drain. Put into slow cooker with clams. Add all remaining ingredients, except milk, cornstarch, and parsley. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or until vegetables are tender. During the last hour of cooking, combine 1 cup of milk with the cornstarch. Add cornstarch mixture and the remaining milk and stir well; heat through.
Top each serving with a little chopped parsley and serve with crackers or crusty French bread.

A simply set table featuring a primitive table runner would be the perfect backdrop for a chowder dinner.

via


I hope you are dry and warm where you are. I am thinking I may have to inflate the life rafts if this goes on much longer.

Linking today with:





Celebrating Family



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I've heard and read a lot about this chowder, and yours looks delicious. Now if I can only get my hands on minced clams...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a clam fan but I am all for crock pots:)
    That looks like a very nice hearty chowder!
    Love the table runner...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! This is the featured post this week on Family Time Tuesday!


    Janice

    ReplyDelete

All verbal donations to my comment box are gratefully accepted. It is free for you and priceless to me.