F I'm So Vintage: dreaming confidently
Tuesday, February 21, 2012

dreaming confidently

Yesterday on my Facebook page I posted this quote.






Henry David Thoreau has inspired me to stretch my imagination and thoughts. He instilled a sense of  environmentalism in me. He inspired me to stretch my thinking in new ways, and whether I agreed or disagreed with everything he said, he gave me a basis in which I could develop my own ideas.


There have been many times during my life that I have lost the sense that I can go confidently in the direction of my dreams. We all get bogged down in the daily living of this world. We have bills to pay, children to raise, partners to make happy, bosses to please.......and in those things, our dreams often get lost. Often we forget what our dreams are. To me they are like the sun rising over Walden Pond. Even if we forget them, they are there to begin anew the next day.


Walden Pond


I love this quote from Thoreau.


"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."


One beautiful thought






when thought over and over, can blossom into a field of beautiful thoughts.








As many of you know,I was a cognitive therapist. I worked with people to help them improve their lives by changing their thoughts. Often being the very fallible person that I am, I would forget to practice this myself. So recently I have been working to change this. When I  start to think that my dreams can't happen, I stop myself. I picture a big stop sign in my mind.






and then I change how I am thinking. 


When I started writing this blog I didn't really have a plan, but at some point I  realized that I like this. This is something I can do. It is something I enjoy. It is something I can be successful at, and when I changed my thinking about it my success began to blossom. I went from a few hundred views a month to over 30,000 in the last month. WOW, there are people out there who like what I have to say. I like what I have to say. I like me!!! That is not being egotistical, it is loving myself, which is the most important thing in this journey we call life. And, if there are people out there who disagree with something I say or share, I invite those people to share their views.


I am practicing carrying this over into all aspects of my life. For too long, I tried selling things in my vintage shop that weren't what I liked. I now focus on the things I love.





Yes, I know there will be people who love them, and others who will say "not so much", but I know that by being true to my dreams and not doing what others think I should do, I will be happy. I will be dreaming confidently.


What are your dreams? I would love to hear them.

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Our thoughts shape our life - present and future. And that is something I always wrestle with. We've just been coasting lately, thinking this is the way it's always going to be for us.

    Well, we've stopped and reminded ourselves that we can imagine and create a much brighter future.

    Many years ago, I visited Walden Pond. It was a wonderful experience.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all feel this way. I hear people say, "I've always wanted to be a singer...."..and low and behold, they become a successful popular artist. (Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, etc.)

    As you know, we create WHO we are in our own minds and we are our own worst critic. Not listening to the negative thoughts is a very hard thing to do... Trust me, I have to practice this daily.

    Hang in there and keep practicing!!!
    Danelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved what you posted today. I wrestle and have wrestled with thoughts my entire life. I'm much better now, been working on it for awhile. I found your blog from my sister Debbie's blog (The Paint Splash). I love vintage too and am looking forward to readidng more of your blog.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post. I have spent the last year working on the same thing. I've been listening to Eckart Tolle (wonderful!) and attempting to focus on the good in my life. I'm a writer. I've published three novels for young adults. I started my little blog not as a writer, however, but to recapture that original joy of writing—sharing things that are meaningful to me. In all honesty I believe I was able to publish that first novel because I thought I could. That little blue engine had the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Laura. I meet so many people who use live their lives in the negative. That quote is one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely post, Laura. I needed to be reminded to follow my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to paint the covers for Cook's Illustrated Magazine! ;P

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura, thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! You have a lovely blog and I'll be happy to follow you back. This is a great post...I've always said that we are what we think! I'll be back to read more of your blog, it's late and way past my bedtime. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like you! :D

    I like Thoreau too.

    I love the quote of today.

    And I like growing up together.

    Thank you for your daily visits over at my blog. I appreciate your opinion A LOT!

    ReplyDelete

All verbal donations to my comment box are gratefully accepted. It is free for you and priceless to me.