F I'm So Vintage: me me me me.....

Missed A Recent Post?

Friday, April 27, 2012

me me me me.....

How many of you put everyone else in your life first? There are the children, the grandchildren, the husbands, the partners, the parents, the boss............. You may raise your hands now. Don't be embarrassed.......


source


Oh my, there are quite a few of you.  Hmmmmm!!!


You would think that as a trained counselor, I would know better than to not take care of myself first. I mean, I spent a lot of time giving other people 


source


but, I am also a woman, and I know that we have all been socialized to take care of everyone else first. And yes, I know that we are responsible, to a certain extent, for taking care of others. 


source


I also know that we have to learn to put our own well being first.  (We may not want to go this far, although we all may have thought about it at some point)


source

No, we are not being selfish. By taking care of ourselves we are able to be healthier both mentally and physically to give to our loved ones. We need time to dream.


source


We need time to...


source


We need o laugh and play with the abandon of children 




and we need the support and connection with like minded women. That is one of the wonderful things about blogging. It connects us with a network of wonderful women friends. 


What are you doing to take care of yourself today? I am going out to lunch with my mom and doing some all around general relaxing.


 

17 comments:

  1. I'm so guilty of doing this. I don't know what it is about women but we seem to think we need to take on all of our family/friends problems. I was a workaholic for years thinking that was my outlet for stress. I luckily found a counselor who told me I needed to put me first. I'm still in the learning process but getting better each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect advice for an over committed under appreciated mama! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do try to put myself at the top of my list occasionally! Others are there also but I do try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your lunch! :D I am busy doing chores today. *sighs* Sweet post, my friend!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought three new dresses ;-) Two will go back, but I still come out ahead that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post!!!

    Just reading through it and looking at the images started the relaxing process for me. I will have to take your advice, I am usually a juggler of many tasks, not many for myself ;) Although writing my blog and reading the words of others is so me time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thoughts, Laura. What I'm doing today, because it's Friday, is baking a homemade GF pizza (chicken) with kalamata olives and Feta cheese, savoring every bite of it, and watching a movie with my hubby and my dogs. Friday nights are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your post Laura. I'm the world's worst at doing for myself, even if I do nothing. Sad**, but I am so glad that you consistently do things with and for your Mother. I think that is so awesome... I admire you for that, especially. Haved a great time, enjoy your lunch and hope your are feeling better... hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that I need to do more for ME. I am, basically, a caretaker with a deep sense of responsibility to make others happy...sometimes at the sacrifice of self. I love that you can take some time and enjoy your Mother and unwind a bit. Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have given up on taken care of me. I left home in the late seventies when the magazines all had stories about how the new woman could have it all. Bring home the bacon fry it up in a pan and love our man, that hold bunch of junk. It worked me to death then and still is. hmm m! I think we were called super women.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure hope you had a lovely lunch with your mother. Today was not the best, but tomorrow will be better. I will be sleeping in and then hubby can cook me breakfast. :) After that I may do some shopping. :)
    Are you a therapist or counselor?
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I AGREE! Too often, when we do take the time to relax then, people think something is wrong. Hello, world, we all just need a breather sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a wonderful reminder....I see my Mom right now, almost burnt out some days....and my Dad needing more and more from her..She needs to take good care of herself.

    Have a great lunch.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your advice should be so well taken. There comes a time when the giving well runs dry if it is not refreshed. My question always used to be "who nurtures the nurturer." Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very recently, I came to the full realization that if I didn't take time each day to spend time by myself, doing with I love, then I was going to be a very unhappy person. Being an unhappy person would lead me to be an unhappy wife, mother, friend, co-worker ... you get where I'm headed. So, each day, my family now knows that my knitting time (usually while listening to music, an audiobook, or a podcast) is a necessity at the end of a long workday. Thank goodness my family is pretty independent so my guilt factor is near zero!

    ReplyDelete
  16. good for you!! I hope you had a delightful day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know, I've been thinking lately along the same lines only that there is a very fragile line between putting yourself first and egoism. I believe that growing up one should be taught to be open and giving to others, and even putting herself on the second place. Then, after exercising compassion and making sure you are a human being you can start putting yourself in the first place. The other way around creates monsters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I read every one of them.