F I'm So Vintage: to paint or not to paint

Missed A Recent Post?

Thursday, April 19, 2012

to paint or not to paint

Good morning everyone. As you may have noticed, I took the day off yesterday. I have been feeling a bit stressed out and decided I need to cut myself some slack. For those of you who have asked, I have not heard from the doctor. I am hoping that is good news on the diabetes question as she said she would call if something serious showed up. She also said if everything is okay, I will get a card in the mail. That hasn't shown up yet either. hmmmmm. Hopefully I will get one of those today. I do still have the burning red neuropathy in my feet, so that will have to be addressed with some type of medication I guess. 


I really appreciate your concerns and I will let you know if I hear something else. 


Now, on to the fun stuff. I read a lot about the issue of painting furniture. Should a piece be painted or not. I have mixed feelings on it. I certainly have some antiques (currently in storage or I would show you photos) that are definitely not candidates for painting. On the other hand, I think it is wonderful when old beat up or otherwise unusable pieces are rehabbed into new and exciting looks with paint. I know ASCP is very popular, although I haven't tried it myself. 


So, today I thought I would share some great pieces I have found online and am happy to see have been given a new life. I love that paint can give everything from a very rustic to a more modern feel to furniture.


source


source


source unknown


source


source


source


What is your favorite look, and how do you feel about the painting craze? I love all of these, but I think the last photo is my favorite.



 

16 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you... As a lady with HOT FLASHES I want to share with you that "PART of my menopausal PAINS was the foot issues you describe. I also had/have it in my hands...Not all the time BUT I did have it CONSTANTLY for a while. My Doctor told me it could also be NEED for MAGNESIUM... So I take over the counter tablets...Do they work(WELL, my feet AND hands don't bother me anymore). ONCE in a great while BUT NOTHING like they used to...
    Big Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in my prayers! I enjoy the painted furniture but haven't tried it myself.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everthing health wise turns out great:) I LOVE your photos today. Old chippy, well loved furniture just makes my heart skip a beat:) Thanks for sharing such beauty today.
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you hear from the Dr soon! It is awful to be in limbo with health situations. I love all the pieces you have shown here. My favorite is probably the last one although I love the pink table just before it, too. Great post- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a big chicken when it comes to painting furniture. I love the look, but am always afraid I will "ruin" something. I am old enough to remember back in the 1970s when people were "antiquing" furniture with colored stains or something. My aunt ruined some of my grandmother's pieces that way (at least I thought she ruined them).

    I'd been wondering if you had heard anything. Hope it's all good news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your doctor contacts you soon. Waiting is the worst part! I have been dealing with some issues for the past couple of months and waiting for lab results has been my middle name. I was tested for diabetes but thankfully don't have it - although it was determined I have markers for type I which means my children are at a greater risk of developing. In the meantime we are trying to figure out what is going on..so I can relate to a bit to where you are at ;) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first photo with the old look. Can't help it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for a good report from the doctor. Loved your photos of painted furniture.
    I have friends who would GASP in horror at the thought of painting old wood, but I love color too much to rule out paint in the right situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pink table is something I have wanted for a while but why I don't know it would not go with a thing I have it just says girly all over it. This from a mother of all boys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have several painted pieces of furniture. I love it! Great photos/inspiration.

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your feet. I know when I had plantar fasciitis that I never took my feet for granted again. When they are so uncomfortable it can be hard to concentrate on anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I paint a lot of furniture, but I wouldn't do it to anything that was a true "antique." I do like to give out-dated pieces a new lease on life, though, with fresh paint and hardware!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that little pink table! I love painted furniture but I struggle with whether or not to paint all the time. I'm always so afraid that I'm going to be sorry one day that I painted something. If it's something truly antique or a family heirloom, I tell myself no way, but I guess anything else is fair game!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you, some things are not meant to be painted. But, there are those pieces that are otherwise considered "junk" until someone paints them. All of your pictures are lovely! Hope your on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you get good news from the Dr and soon! The last photo is a very lovely piece. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you hear good news soon. It is so difficult to wait! On painting I love all of the photos! I love the beachy look of the chest, but I also love the pink table and the white table! I love painted furniture, but I have a difficult time painting a good piece. I find banged up pieces and paint them. What a great question!

    ReplyDelete

All verbal donations to my comment box are gratefully accepted. It is free for you and priceless to me.