F I'm So Vintage: Kentucky Derby Fare

Missed A Recent Post?

Friday, May 4, 2012

Kentucky Derby Fare

It is Kentucky Derby time again. Tomorrow is the 138th Run for the Roses. This is always a huge event in our state, and every year I like to share some Kentucky specialties with you. These are not things you would probably want to eat or drink every day, but after all, this is a special occasion.


Those of us who are native Kentuckians, were practically weened on mint juleps, but for those of you who have never had the privilege, I am including a recipe. let me say, with all due respect, that if you have never had one of these jewels, i would recommend that you sip slowly on one for several hours.  


source


mint julep recipe
4 fresh mint sprigs
2 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey
1 tsp powdered sugar
2 tsp water

Muddle mint leaves, powdered sugar, and water in a collins glass. Fill the glass with shaved or crushed ice and add bourbon. Top with more ice and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve with a straw.
 
Have you ever had Derby Pie? If you love chocolate you will not want to miss this. The actual pie served at the Kentucky Derby is made with a secret recipe, but I think this is a close match.

This recipe is from American Food


Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 ready-made piecrust

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and butter; mix to combine. Stir in the bourbon, walnuts, chocolate chips, vanilla, and salt. Pour the mixture into the unbaked piecrust. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool before slicing.

* Note: If you ever include a similar recipe in a cookbook, you can't legally call it a "Derby Pie" recipe. The name "Derby Pie" is trademarked, and the owners of the name are very aggressive protecting the name "Derby Pie."
 
I hope you have a fun Derby Day. My suggestion is start on the julep and the pie before the actual race and you won't care who wins. Ladies and Gentlemen place your bets.




 

9 comments:

  1. OH MY! What delicacies! And it's hard for me to sip a good drink! lol I would be sleeping through the race! haha! Enjoy your weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura- I have never had Derby Pie. I copied the recipe over to my files to try out for my son-in-law. YUM xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had KY Derby pie....it looks really good. Thanks for posting the recipes!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a fan of the Julep. Even though I do love Kentucky Bourbon (Woodford Reserve was produced just a few miles from our former home in Versailles and it's my fav) but Derby Pie? It's divine. But also should be eaten slowly, so rich. Happy Derby Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't think of two things more associated with the Derby than these two recipes. Your versions of both sound delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Derby pie! I have yet to have the "real secret recipe one", but I've tried plenty around Louisville!! :)

    However, next up in my Louisville culinary experience will definitely be one of those Mint Juleps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would skip the drink but go straight for that pie! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of a mint julep, that's going on my list of to do's this summer.

    The pie looks delish also.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to go. I live only three hours away and should go sometime but for now these recipes will make being at home better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments. I read every one of them.