Recent Posts

Friday, May 11, 2012

Letter From Mother To A Daughter

Mother's Day is Sunday and I found this wonderful letter and thought I would share it. For those of us who have elderly mothers and are aging ourselves, I thought this was especially poignant. 


Letter from a Mother to a Daughter


"My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep. When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl? When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day... the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If I ocasionally lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you. And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don’t feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you... my darling daughter."


From Spring Air

here are some photos of my daughters when they were young and now as beautiful women.








Katy with her niece and my granddaughter, Sidney.




and Cary, the mother of my two and soon to be three grandchildren.





My mom at age 16




My mom now at age 87




She is still beautiful and full of life.


I want to wish all of you, who are mothers, a happy Mother's Day. I am so blessed to be a daughter, a mother, and a grandmother.


 Pin It

16 comments:

  1. That was SO BEAUTIFUL! Your Mom and mine are the same age. She is SO SWEET! Happy Mothers Day hugs to you both...
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this! What a beautiful letter and reminder, as you said, for those who are lucky enough to have their Mom's around still ( I am not!) and those of us who have what they've been through to experience yet! I want to print this off and keep it, for the time when I am in that stage of life. A lovely reminder to our daughters! I have spent the last week or so with memories of my Mom, missing her so! Your Mom looks like a sweet lady, hug her tight on Sunday and everyday! Have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    This is absolutely lovely, and brought tears to my eyes. I can imagine my Mom having thought similar things, and am so glad that we surrounded her with sweet love as Alzheimer's progressed, and she began to leave little by little. How wonderful that your Mom is still with you!

    Do you mind if I share this letter on my blog or FB? It is so touching and I would love to bless my readers with it.

    Have a joyful Mother's Day, and thank you so much for sharing this today!
    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom passed away when she was 87. She got very sick prior to her time of passing. I miss her everyday. There are times that I meet up with someone she knew or a situation she was a part of and I want to go home and call her and tell her ... but I can't. She was a wonderful Mom and I often think of her when I see flowers bloom in the spring. Her birthday was in March and she always planted peas in her garden on or around her birthday. It's somewhat hard to have Mother's Day without her, but her memory warms my heart. You have a Happy Mother's Day, ok? My daughters are taking me out for lunch on Saturday. My oldest daughter has three daughters and my youngest of 2 daughters became a Mom on March 14th. Life is Grand! ~ Renae

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a lovely letter. Your Mother is beautiful and your daughters too. You are very lucky to be all those things! Happy Mother's Day Laura. I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this wonderful letter. My own mother is elderly now so it is especially meaningful to me. I am your newest follower.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  7. :D This is such a sweet post. And there are some very pretty genes in your family! LOVE the photos. Have a very Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet, touching letter. It's a good reminder for all us as we and our parents age. Thank you for sharing the photos of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That letter is so beautiful, and "close to home" enough to make me cry! Wishing you, your mother, and your daughters a very happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura, What a wonderful, beautiful family you have....from Mom to daughter to unborn baby...a lovely family unit. Happy Mother's Day to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura,
    The highlight of my mother's day will be a photograph of four generations. I am planning to have my husband take the photo. It is our first four generation Mother's Day. We are so blessed.

    Your post is a beautiful read this morning.
    Happy Mother's Day, my friend!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your family is so wonderful! Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Mother's Day!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful post of your family! Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Mothers Day. Hope you girls have a great day together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came back to read the letter from your mom. This letter is so sincere and loving. My Grandma is 82 and I adore her. She and I share the love for flowers and animals.
    Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet messages. I read every one of them.