F I'm So Vintage: mama said....
Tuesday, May 22, 2012

mama said....

there'll be days like this, there'll be days like this my mama said.......






No matter what mama said, nothing prepared me for the post operative pain of total knee replacement.  So let me catch you up to date. I had the surgery Thursday morning. Apparently they over medicated me somewhat and had a hard time getting me to wake up in the recovery room. No big deal, because I'm here to tell you I would have been fine with sleeping a couple of weeks. The two wonderful days I spent in the hospital went by in a drug induced blurry haze. A few hours after surgery some lovely young girl with two lovely young knees came into my room and said. You're doing great. Now we are going to get you to stand on your new knee. HUH?????




 Okay, we all know that I am too nice to say you're mean, go away, so I just did what she asked and stood, took two steps sideways, and vowed to never walk again as long as I live. 


Saturday I was sent home with instructions to report to physical therapy on Wednesday. Coming home was fun. There was my wonderful bed waiting for me at the top of a flight of stairs. 




I don't quite remember my stairs being so long, in the past, but there must be angels waiting to hold my hands when I get to the top. No such luck. Just my sister, with a walker.


Yesterday, I wasn't feeling too well, so I decided to take my temp.






and what were the post op rules about temps? shuffle, shuffle, shuffle of papers. Any temp over 100.4 means a return trip to the hospital, and what did mine say? 100.6 The next question was how was I going to get back down those stairs. There definitely were not any angels waiting to carry me down, so I did the next best thing and dialed 911. I mean isn't it every woman's dream to at some point be carried out on a throne by three good looking men.


In reality, when the paramedics came, they looked at me and looked at the stairs and said "How'd you ever get up these stairs?" I don't know, but let's have a little respect for the sick woman here!


Six hours later, after being poked, prodded, x-rayed, and ultra sounded, the doctors declared me to have....... a post operative fever. Oh, and now you get to go back home and get back up those stairs. No problem. It's the witching hour of midnight. I'll just fly right on up on my broomstick. 


So today I get to take my first real shower. I feel sure everyone who has to deal with me will be thrilled by that, and tomorrow I get to go for


Chinese Torture


via


I mean physical therapy. I'll let you know how it goes, but if you are within a 3000 mile radius of me, you'll probably hear.



 

17 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry. I am amazed that you have retained this much of a sense of humor! Hope the pain will lessen, and that the physical therapy will not be TOO awful. I have been through that--and it sometimes made me want to curl up in a ball and cry, but now, years later, I am grateful for it because of the full and complete recovery I was able to make. Thinking of you, and sending virtual hugs your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding, virtual hugs from me too. Dumb question... is there any way you don't go up those stairs? Stay down? Like Mama said... this too shall pass. Well, you can spend way too much time on the computer. For what that is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry that's its been so hard for you. I guess there's no way to know how it will be until you experience it yourself. I'm praying for you and I hope you begin to mend and the pain goes away altogether. If I was close...I would give you a gentle hug. Take care of yourself, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...were the EMT's cute?? Kidding aside, I do feel for you! I have been experiencing bad knees for the last few years. I am hoping I don't end up with surgery at some point. Good luck with therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,
    I have been thinking about you and your post-op recuperation! Yes, orthopedic surgery is so much more painful post op than soft tissue surgery. It makes sense - it's so much more traumatic.....takes a lot more trauma to cut through bones than other tissue.
    Having said that....I will continue to remember you in prayer.
    I believe that it will continue to get better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Sorry you are going through all this...Healing Prayers are ON THEIR WAY! and YES it will get better......
    Big Gentle Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, I was just thinking of you this morning, wondering how things went. I'm so sorry you are having so much pain. Ask for lots of pain medication. Physical therapy is not fun either. But keep remembering, it will all be worth it in the end. I know I've been there.
    I am praying for fast healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you poor thing! This does not sound like fun at all. :-(( Hope the physical therapy goes well and that you can sleep on the ground floor. Good news is that this is supposed to be common now and has a record for great results. So we'll think positively...through the pain, huh. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura ~ I am sorry to be laughing, but this was a funny post. I do hope however, that you will continue to improve and be feeling great soon. In the meantime I will say some special prayers for a woman with a great sense of humor! Take good care.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear! You are funny, although I know it's no laughing matter. Slow & steady wins the race, right? Sending you good thoughts & wishes to help you recover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck, Laura! I know you have some tough times to get through. Great if you can keep your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Laura- I am so sorry that you have so much pain AND complications! God bless you- I'll be saying some prayers for your angels to help you with your PT/torture! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Laura, I can see your sense of humour is intact!!! Or maybe you are high form the pain meds, lol!
    IT WILL GET BETTER!!! I promise!!!
    I am so glad you are alive!!!
    That;s how I feel about operations, I a so glad to be alive, everything else is a PLUS!
    Talk to you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just press on! My MIL had hip replacement surgery a few months ago. It was painful, but you MUST keep moving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Laura I am sorry it hurts so much! Keep thinking about walking better....hope it helps. Meanwhile I'm sending a big hug and praying! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my God! We are never, ever prepared for what is to come, no matter how hard we try! Does it hurt a lot? You must be reinventing so many things that you took for granted before... and seeing life in a totally different light... with angels and stuff :) I really hope you are doing better today, after the therapy and your fever doesn't go for too long. But most of all, I hope that your new kneww will serve you well in the long run (pun intended)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness...what an ordeal! I am praying for a quick and painless recovery for you. You sure have a lot of guts to go through the surgery, you know. I am such a sissy when it comes to that kind of thing and will only have surgery if it saves my life! Good to see your humor was not left at the hospital, though :)

    ReplyDelete

All verbal donations to my comment box are gratefully accepted. It is free for you and priceless to me.