F I'm So Vintage: Passing Over
Thursday, May 24, 2012

Passing Over





"I'm coming to join you, Elizabeth"..... and no, I am not talking about Fred Sanford's wife, Elizabeth. I'm talking about my grandmother who passed over 30 years ago. You see, you can now add percocet to the growing list of medications I will no longer allow to pass my lips anytime in the near or far future. It has now been 7 days since my surgery and up until this afternoon, I thought I was going to be joining my grandmother and other wonderful relatives in that better place. I kept telling everyone that I was dying and they didn't believe me, although my mother said I definitely wasn't my usual charming self  (well she didn't exactly use those words.) 




via


I called up the lovely nurse at my doctor's office this morning and told her I thought maybe I shouldn't be taking percocet, because I felt like I was going to have to call the undertaker. In her ever so calm manner she said "what do you mean?"  Well, I think I mean that I feel like I am dying. "Well did you take it in the hospital?"  Um, I have no recollection of being in the hospital. "What do you mean you have no recollection of being in the hospital?".......I mean I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF BEING IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!!! I assume from the multi colored bruises that are covering my entire leg, the huge ugly scar on my knee, and the fact I have no mobility in my knee, that I underwent some type of procedure that involved a hospital stay. I see, she said, "let me call the doctor". The nurse called the doctor and the doctor said...no more monkeys...whoops, I'm still a tad bit loopy. He said he thought I should go and see my regular doctor. Talk about passing the buck. Um, excuse me, but by the time I get an appointment to see my regular doctor and then walk the two miles back to her office with my walker, I will not only have passed over, but they will have sent me back. 


via




My mother piped in here, in her sweet little grandmother voice, and said maybe they should have known when it took them almost two hours to wake you up after surgery that you can't tolerate much medication. HUH????? Well, in all fairness, they did seem to panic right when they were getting ready to roll me into the operating room and the anesthesiologist decided to look at my medical records and noticed that I had peripheral neuropathy. You know, he said, there is a slight chance that this could cause your leg to become numb and you might not get over it. HUH??? That's when my little 4 foot 10 inch mother jumped up and said you are not giving that to her. I did start to panic here somewhat, and that is when they began to throw everything but the kitchen sink at me. Sedative for the stress they were causing me, benadryl for the hives that broke out all over my face.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.


So that was really my last coherent thought for the last seven days (yes I know I wrote a blog post two days ago, but who knows if I was actually present.) Now, though, I did the smart thing and took myself off percocet. HALLELEUJAH!!!!! I think there is a possibility the girl might live to see another day. 


Oh, and that day includes physical therapy. You don't even want to know how that sweet little girl can bring me to tears. 


BTW, I have 637 pages of emails I haven't answered, so if you haven't heard from me, that could be the reason.


 

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I sure hope you get the medication right and start feeling better soon! Don't worry about emails...just get your rest and get well soon! Sending you some gentle hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I'm so glad you're doing better! We live in a "world" where lotsa people love the meds...more the better! Doesn't work for me either! Glad you listened to your body. Prayers and Hugs......From one sweetie to another...Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Percocet made me crazy after my c-section! Blah...I took myself off of it too! I do hope you can get back to yourself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Your sense of humor is intact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, oh my goodness is all I can say. I am so glad to hear from you and that things are going ok except for the drugs is fantastic!! You sweet little mama, bless her heart. Don't you know she was stressed? Hope you will get back to your everyday life very soon and I have no doubt. Love and hugs, to a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, at least you haven't lost your sense of humor. Glad you are getting back on track. I think they don't do nearly enough follow up anymore- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my dear Laura, how I feel for you. My husband has had that surgery on each knee. The first time he had an infection that nearly took him. He had to be on a super bug antibiotic that was tremendously expensive (but insurance paid it). I am so sorry you have all those stairs. I would definitely go for the hunky paramedics to come to my rescue! Get well soon. Kick the p t guys, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Laura, Percocet seems to be a no go for you! I'm glad you took yourself off it. Poor girl! Hang in there. I know that each day will get a bit better and the pain will recede.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, I hope you start feeling better soon. Not being able to get around is a huge inconvenience, isn't it? Because you were in such a drug induced stupor you probably don't remember me coming over and cooking dinner for you and fluffing up pillows and waiting on you hand and foot for 3 days. But that's ok, I know you appreciated it. :-) Hugs! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You poor thing! Some of those medications can really make you loopy and are down right scary. Glad you are off Percocet and maybe starting to feel like your old self. Knee replacement surgery is not for the faint of heart it seems! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very sensitive to medication as well. I'm glad you are now feeling better. There's another sweet blogger that I follow and she had both knees done at the same time! Whew! Good luck with the physical therapy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, the clouds have parted and I finally did my Friend Connect file correctly and I am happy. I look like your newest member but now it is a correct "member". Mahn, sometimes I am so crazy, it hurts. hahahaha HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, what an experience! Hope you are recovering from the Percocet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ummm......I think you need to leave the Percocet alone, my dear. Don't worry about the emails, just recovery quickly! I have been crazy busy with end of the school year activities, and I am so happy that school is out! We are just hanging out at the lake relaxing this weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. You would think that the alarm bells would be ringing right and left when you talked to the doctors....sigh.

    Good thing you made a choice to look after yourself. Hope that you are feeling fine, very soon.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I am so late getting caught up with you. Glad the surgery is behind you and hope the therapy gets better. One day there will be drive thru windows for hospitals they won't ever see our face let alone here us. Take care don't over do to fast. Glad to see you have a good sense of humor about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet messages. I read every one of them.