F I'm So Vintage: i'm walking, yes indeed.....

Missed A Recent Post?

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

i'm walking, yes indeed.....


Well, the weight gain that I talked about here, and the fact that I just haven't had my usual energy has gotten me to dig out the walking shoes again. For three days I have been up at six and out the door at seven. 


Early morning has always been my favorite time of the day and this week the weather is perfect. Highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's. It feels more like late September than mid July. I actually had to wear a light sweater when I walked. 

I am really out of shape. I can only do about 25 minutes and then I have to quit, but I know if I can just keep it up every day I will build myself back up. I sometimes wonder what happened to that young girl who could just walk and walk forever. I used to walk everywhere, but of course when I learned how to drive and my parents bought me a car I thought I was too cool to walk. 


There have been times during my adult life that I have taken up walking again and have done some hiking, but I never seem to sustain it. I get busy, life gets in the way, or I just get lazy. Whatever the reason, I know that it is something that I need to do for not only my physical well being, but my mental well being as well. It is amazing how much better I feel when I walk consistently. 


So once again I am out and about in my neighborhood. Greeting people as they leave for work. Enjoying the gardens. Listening to the sounds of families. It makes me really happy to start my day this way.

Simple and serene living at its best.

post signature

17 comments:

  1. sounds like the perfect time to walk, I think I am much like you on this one, I walk for a while then I get distracted and then stat again, thanks for the reminder, we need to get moving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Maybe we can support each other in our attempts to keep it up :)

      Delete
  2. Laura, I like to walk. It's good for health reason, plus it can helps clear the cob-webs. Cheaper than a gym. Look at all the pretty things you see too. Wishing to best, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely cheaper than a gym. Free is always good and I love looking at my neighbors' garden.

      Delete
  3. I always loved to walk and now I don't do it like I should. I think I need to get back to a daily walk...even if it's short it's a start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think Linda. Any walk is better than none,

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't make it 25 minutes, so pat yourself on the back! Before I hurt my ankle, I use to walk with my neighbor in Tyler. She and I still talk on the phone. Actually two of us do. Just as well I guess. Tulsa has so many pocket neighborhoods of crime. Right across from this complex is one that you don't want to mess with. This one is putting up steel gates and then we'll be locked in, thank goodness. Those across the street are ne-er-do-wells. Two little girls died in a fire over there before Christmas when they were locked in while a relative went to take out the trash and got to talking to someone.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that you don't have a good place to walk, Brenda. Maybe there is a place close by where you can go for a short walk. xo Laura

      Delete
  5. Walking is the best, both for physical and mental health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura, Good for you. I walked several weeks ago and then I used the heat as an excuse not to walk! Like you, we are experiencing cooler temps, so I need to get back at it.
    I enjoyed your pretty flora photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when it is hot I get out there first thing before it is too hot to walk. Get back at it. You'll be glad you did :)

      Delete
  7. Good for you Laura. You go girl. Glad you are feeling so good after your walking in the am. Keep going.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. I am definitely going to keep it up :)

      Delete
  8. Good Morning Laura! Good for you to start a walking program. I too enjoy walking/hiking along our local forest area. My pup is a huge incentive to get me outside. Sometimes it's tough to get going (those cold mornings are a bit rough;) but once I'm out, it feels good. Walking is so good for you:) Clears the head, burns just as many calories as running the same distance AND is low impact so it's easy on the joints. Can't go wrong with that!

    Enjoy your day!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete

All verbal donations to my comment box are gratefully accepted. It is free for you and priceless to me.