F I'm So Vintage: this and that...here and there

Missed A Recent Post?

Saturday, July 19, 2014

this and that...here and there


Does the summer seem like it is flying by to you? Why is that? Winter drags on and on, seeming like it will never end, but summer seems to end before it has barely begun. 

We have been having early fall like weather here this past week. Daytime highs have been in the seventies and the nights have been in the fifties. It has felt great, but I want to feel summer's steamy weather. I want to know that it is actually summer so that I can have those summer memories when I am once again feeling the cold of winter. The weather forecasters say we are having a summer version of the polar vortex. That really concerns me. Does that mean that we will continue to have the polar vortex sweeping down through the upcoming winter? UGH!!!


Okay, I just saw some leaves that were changing to red. Please summer, come back!!

I have as usual been doing a lot of reading. I just finished the latest Karen White book, A Long Time Gone. Do you read her books? I think this may be her best one yet. I found out she was here doing a book signing a few weeks ago and I missed her. I would have loved to meet her. I took the book and dropped it off at my mom's this morning so she can get a start on it. I keep her well supplied with library books.


The morning walking has been going good. I get out every morning around seven and yesterday I got up to 45 minutes. This morning it was raining so I went and walked in the Peddlers Mall where I have my booth. It is huge in there and as I had to go clean up my booth I figured I might as well get my walk in.. Someone bought an antique table from me yesterday and I knew they probably just took everything off and laid it on the floor in the middle of the booth. I was right. What a mess. You couldn't even get to the back of my booth.


The rest of the week has been pretty much the same old, same old. Thrifting, auctions, and yard sales. One of my favorite finds of the week was this huge, heavy, and gorgeous white Red Cliff soup tureen. As much as I would love to keep it, it will be going into my Etsy shop in the next few days for some other lucky person. 


So, what have you been up to this week? Is your weather similar to mine or have you been enjoying typical summer temps? 

post signature

18 comments:

  1. It's been a bit cooler than normal. I'll take it. I hate hot weather. The menopause hot flashes turned me off hot weather for good!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love cold weather, Brenda, but now I can't stand it. This is actually great weather, but I am not ready for fall temps yet :)

      Delete
  2. Laura, I think maybe summer seems to fly because we are loving it . I did think our past winter was unending...remember how spring kind of popped in and out. Let's soak these glorious days us. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, Susie. I really don't like winter anymore and yes, spring zipped in and out really quickly. Let's do soak up these wonderful days. :)

      Delete
  3. Laura, I do like Karen White and have added this book to my list. I found two books in the thrift shop today, Nora Roberts 'The Collector' and David Baldacci 'The Target'. Both with a 2014 copyright! Love finding newish books for $1 ea!!! It's rainy today and cooler so I'm just enjoying the time inside.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this book, Linda. I stayed in most of yesterday afternoon too, but when the rain finally stopped
      last night I got out and took a short walk. It cleared the cobwebs :)

      Delete
  4. we've had a great break from summer here in texas, too. by end of week, though, back to 100+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to heat up here this week too. 100+ is a bit too hot for me :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Laura, that soup terrin is beautiful, wouldn't mind that atall :). It is very hot here these days, too hot for me l'm afraid. My health can't take it and l have been sicker than in ages. In the cool of the evening l come out and enjoy. Problem is it is very hot inside too, and l am far too tight (must be my scottish roots) to turn on the air conditionin the new house. Have fans going all around me (which in turn gives me a cold). The children are loving the weather though and havn't touched computer or digital medias since schoosl broke up. There is a peace about them as they potter about with varoius creative projects often singing or humming as they go. During the hottest part of the day they come in and haul out their lego for a while. I am loving it :-). Hugs Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I am so sorry that your health has taken such a turn for the worse. Turn on that a/c. It is important for your well being. I have Scottish roots too so I know it is hard to let those pennies go, but you need it. Hope you continue to enjoy the summer months with the lids. xo

      Delete
  6. I agree, summer is going too fast! I love the warmer weather, too! That tureen is amazing! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Laura....I am not going to think how fast the summer is going. Instead, I am going to relish every second! Today I loved buying big fat red tomatoes (YUM) and will soon make BLTs for lunch. Also got lovely yellow beans, which I also love.

    Oh, summer is SOOOOO lovely. Hope your Sunday has been delightful. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sunday has been lovely. I went to an auction for a couple of hours and I got some big juicy tomatoes too. I think I will make my eggplant tomato casserole tomorrow. Enjoy your moments :)

      Delete
  8. Our summer has been pretty darn hot and humid! Typical Ga weather here. We will probably continue to have hot temps through Sept. So, if you get too cold where you are, just swing over here. I know you have family over here too. I have a tureen almost identical to the one you're selling. I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters and grandchildren will be heading up from Georgia for a few days in August. By then it will probably be roasting here, too.

      Delete
  9. We had those lovely temps last week, too. Today it is much warmer and humid again, and the next few days are supposed to have heat index temps around 100*..... too hot for me!
    Laura, have you read Jan Karon's Mitford series of books??? I think you would truly enjoy them if you haven't read them, and if you read them in order, it does make much more sense!! AND, if you HAVE read them, do you know she has a new one coming out soon? She had said she was finished w/ the series, but I think the fans got to her and she is releasing a new one. Her books truly bring me peace. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it is that hot there, Chris. We are going to warm up again, too but only to around 90 one day. I have never read her books. I am putting her on my list and will definitely check her out. Thanks for the tip. I am always looking for new authors to read. :)

      Delete

All verbal donations to my comment box are gratefully accepted. It is free for you and priceless to me.